If you want to go on an awesome adventure around NZ, but you haven’t got any solid plans laid out yet, we can help. To make your life a little easier, we’ve put together this guide on how to find & book deals – even last minute!
We’ve also included some general advice on how to think when booking your travel last minute. It might help you think more clearly about what you must have and do, plus what you can do without.
Deals on flights to & around New Zealand
If you’re already in New Zealand and you’re looking to travel across the country on a flight, there are loads of great websites and apps that can help you find cheap deals on flights. We’d recommend doing your research and comparing costs using these:
- Skyscanner: Skyscanner hosts all the lastest flight deals and can help you compare flight prices across multiple airlines all at once
- Google Flights: Yep, Google helps you find cheap flights on top of everything else they do! You can set up alerts based on your current location and destination to help you find the cheapest flights possible.
- Kayak: This one’s an offshoot of Booking.com so they’ve got a good pedigree behind them. Just pop in your current location, your ideal destination, when you want to travel and your maximum budget. It will show you the cheapest flights possible.
Deals on campervan hire in New Zealand
Now maybe we’re a bit biased, but we happen to think that campervanning is one of the best and cheapest ways to get around New Zealand. Here’s a few ways to save if you’re looking to hire a campervan in NZ:
- Book Now – Pay Later: Book Now – Pay Later is a special Covid Promotion which quite a few campervan companies are offering. For more info Book Now – Pay Later click here
- Campervan Specials: Every campervan hire company has specials – some 365 day a year! You can check some dedicated campervan special right here. Most campervan hire companies update their special pages regularly so its worth keeping an eye on those….
- Campervan Relocations: Relocation are basically driving a vehicle from spot A to spot B within a short period – often for free. It is a great way to see a country on a cheap. Check out some of the current relocation deals here.
If you want to get a complete look on how to get cheap campervan deals, check out our cheap campervan hire deals page. You will also find a general FAQ section about Campervan Hire in New Zealand.
Package deals on travel experiences in New Zealand
You’ll sometimes find that smaller travel providers (like us locals) will band together to offer great deals on experiences. Some hotels offer discounted vehicle hire, low-price movie tickets at the local theatre, or cheaper meals at restaurants they’re in partnership with.
Some campervan companies have partnered up with tour operator which will save you along the trip. When you hire a campervan with Travellers Autobarn you get several deals along the way like discounted Kayaking Tours, Jetboating and so on. Check out the current partner deals here…
Deals on accommodation in New Zealand
If you’re planning on travelling to a new city in NZ but you don’t have anywhere to stay, you’ll need to book some accommodation. Hotels can be the biggest expense a traveller faces, but staying somewhere decent doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg — accommodation venues often have last minute deals for you to take advantage of.
- Lastminute: This is a website designed to help last minute travellers, with a dedicated section on last minute hotel deals. This can really come in handy if you’ve just landed and plans have changed, or you have some unexpected delay. Just select ‘Hotel Only’, then chuck in your destination, check-in and check-out dates, how many rooms you need, and how many people you’ve got. Lifesaver!
- Booking.com: Tried and tested, this website is popular with all sorts of travellers. Pop in your dates, number of people and search. Then, sort by price to find the cheapest deals possible.
- Call them up: One problem with booking sites is that they sometimes have hidden costs like booking fees. To sidestep this issue, you can always try looking for good deals on those sites, then call the hotel or motel directly to explain what you’ve seen and ask if they can match the offer without the fees. It won’t always work, but independent operators may appreciate that you’re coming to them directly since times are tough these days.
Holiday Discount Websites
If you are flexible – and are after a real bargain – it is always worth to check out some of the typical discounting websites – you be getting real savings – these companies have anything from discounted flights, campervan hire deals as well as accommodation discounts.
- Treatme: Treatme offers a variety of holiday deals – you can even search based on budget or holiday style!
- GrabOne: GrabOne is NZ #1 favourite discounting website & app and you be finding lots of great holiday deals in no time!
3 tips for thinking like a last minute traveller
When you’re looking for a great last minute deal, you need to get into the mindset of a seasoned traveller. If you’re a natural procrastinator, you’re already pretty well equipped.
Here are 3 tips to keep in mind while searching travel deal sites:
1. Be flexible
Sometimes when you’re looking for a great deal, you need to be flexible with timing and destination. You can save a tonne of cas