7 Quick and Easy Meals to Make in Your Campervan
Just because you are living life on the road doesn’t mean you have to eat poorly! In fact, travelling in a campervan is a great time to try some new recipes. You have a kitchen with you everywhere you go, and what better way to eat breakfast than with a view of snowcapped mountains?! Here are 7 quick and easy meal ideas that you can make during your campervan trip in New Zealand.
Start your day with some delicious and healthy breakfast burritos to sustain you for a big day of exploring. Use whole wheat tortillas, scrambled eggs, and spicy salsa as a base, and then get creative tomato, and avocado, capsicum, cheese and black beans to your taste.
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 capsicum
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 cup grated cheese
- 2 tortillas (10 inch)
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 avocado
- Heat half the oil in a frypan on medium heat. Cook the onions and capsicum until softened, around 7 minutes. Add the black beans and cook for another few minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a separate dish
- Whisk the eggs and stir in the cheese. Heat the other half of oil in the frypan and scramble the eggs until they are cooked. Spread each tortilla with sour cream and salsa, then top with eggs, bean mixture and avocado.
- Roll up burrito style and serve. For extra flavour, serve with chilli flakes or hot sauce.
Image via Food Network
2. Spinach, Mushroom and Cherry Tomato Fry-Up
This combination packs a vitamin and nutrient-rich punch to your day and is perfect as a side with any meal. For breakfast, you can fry it up alongside some eggs, or for lunch and dinner, serve with your favourite meat or protein-based meal. Simply add all the chopped vegetables in a pan with oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and lemon.
- 1 tsp butter
- 2 tbsp butter
- 5-6 button mushrooms
- 1/2 red onion
- Half a punnet of cherry tomatos
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 large handfuls baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pinch black pepper
- A drizzle of lemon juice
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large frying pan and add the mushrooms and onions. Sauté for 5-6 minutes until browned and cooked through.
- Combine the tomatoes, garlic, salt and pepper and cook for a further 2 minutes. Next, add the spinach and stir through and cook until it welts. At the end, squeeze over the lemon juice.
- Serve this with anything you like, whether it’s eggs, meat, or simply on bread.
Photo and recipe from eatdrinkpaleo.com.au
3. Coconut Curry
A veggie-packed coconut curry is a real crowd pleaser and is super easy to make in a campervan. A can of coconut milk, vegetable stock, some curry powder, and your choice of vegetables is all you need to put in one pot to make this creation. Feel free to swap vegetables in this recipe in and out, you can even use whichever ones you have as leftovers. Serve with rice or quinoa for a healthy and tasty meal. If you are hiring a campervan with a microwave you can minimise time and washing up by heating up a packet of 90-second rice!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 carrot
- 1 head broccoli
- 2 handfuls of snow peas
- 1 brown onion
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 tbsp curry powder (or curry paste)
- 1 cube of vegetable stock
- Small piece of ginger
- 3 garlic cloves
- Salt and pepper
- Handful natural cashews (optional)
- Chilli flakes (optional)
- Prepare all the vegetables. Chop the carrot into circles, chop the cauliflower and broccoli into 2cm heads, dice the onion, cut the heads of snow peas and finely chop or grate the garlic and ginger.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, ginger and garlic and cook until the onion is clear. Add the carrot, cauliflower, broccoli, and snow peas and cook for around 5 minutes or until slightly softened. Meanwhile, cook the rice in a medium pot.
- Add the curry powder or paste and stir until all vegetables are covered. Pour over the coconut milk and crumble the vegetable stock cube in. Bring to a simmer and then reduce heat and cook for around 10 minutes.
4. Serve the curry over rice in bowls and top with salt and pepper, cashews, and chilli flakes if using.
Image via Minimalist Baker
4. Simple Chilli Con Carne
In a large saucepan, add minced meat, vegetables, garlic, and beans, cook for 15 minutes and then serve with your favourite toppings. This simple chilli con carne is ready in under half an hour and is perfect for dinner, next day leftovers and snacking on with corn chips.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 750g beef mince
- 2 brown onions, diced
- 2 capsicums, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed or diced
- 1 long red chilli, chopped
- 2 tbsp Mexican chilli powder
- 800g can of chopped tomatoes
- 400g can of red kidney beans
- Topping choices – jalapeno chillies, sour cream, coriander, tasty cheese, etc.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the mince and break up and stir for 15 mins. Add onion, capsicums, garlic and chopped chilli. Cook for 5 minutes and then add chilli powder.
- Add the tomatoes and a cup of water. Bring to the boil and then reduce heat to medium-low, simmer partially covered for 30 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Add the beans and increase the heat to medium. Serve with toppings of your choice.
Recipe via taste.com.au
5. Grilled Lemon Chicken and Asparagus
With just a few ingredients, all of them being very healthy, this chicken and asparagus dish is a perfect dinner to eat in your campervan. Instead of grilling the chicken, just put it in the pan over your gas stove. It almost seems a bit fancy – but it’s ready in about 20 minutes!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 lemon
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- Heat the frying pan (or BBQ if you are at a campground that has one!) to medium-high. Brush the chicken with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Steam or boil the asparagus until it slightly softens.
- Fry the chicken until cooked through, this will take about 6 minutes each side. Halfway through cooking, add the lemon wedges to the pan or hotplate. Serve with the asparagus and squeeze over lemon.
Image via Women’s Day
Recipe via womansday.com
6. Mushroom and Bacon Risotto
With only 7 ingredients and one pot required, this mushroom and bacon risotto is the perfect meal for while you are on the move. Our tip: if you are feeling a little more adventurous, add a splash of dry white wine and some diced shallots for some extra flavour – and you’ll have yourself a restaurant quality meal!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 8 rasher bacon, chopped
- 250g button mushrooms
- 300g risotto rice
- 1l chicken stock
- grated parmesan to serve
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan or pot and add the onion and bacon, cooking for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook for further 5 minutes. Stir in the rice and cook until it goes clear and all juices have been absorbed.
- Gradually add the stock, about half a cup at a time, stirring well and waiting for the stock to be absorbed before adding more. This process will take about 20 minutes.
- Once cooked, serve with grated parmesan.
Image via BBC Good Food
Recipe via bbcgoodfood.com
7. One-Pan Pesto Chicken Penne
This perfect campervan dinner is one that even the most amateur of cooks can master. With ingredients such as chicken, garlic, penne, cheese, and cream, who wouldn’t love this delicious classic pasta dish?!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced into strips
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- ½ tablespoon salt
- ½ tablespoon ground pepper
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup pesto
- 3 cups penne pasta, cooked
- ¾ cup cherry tomatoes halved
- parmesan cheese to garnish
- fresh basil, chopped, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a pan over high heat. Add the garlic, chicken, salt and pepper. Cook the chicken until it is browned. Stir in the heavy cream, parmesan, and pesto, stirring until combined.
- Bring the mixture a boil and cook until the sauce has reduced, about five to seven minutes.
- Toss in the cooked pasta and cherry tomatoes, stirring until evenly coated.
- Serve with parmesan and basil on top.
Recipe via tasty.co
Ready to begin your culinary adventure on the road? Stop salivating and get a quote on a Travellers Autobarn campervan in New Zealand today!